On March 23rd we held our first Lap-Band Support Group. Ten patients from our Vancouver Lap-Band program attended to discuss their experience, share tips, and to mingle with our bariatric surgeons, nutritionist, and nurse.
Here were some of the topics that were covered:
- Lap Band fills and the optimum amount for healthy weight loss. What it feels like if your Lap Band is too full, or not full enough.
- Suggestions for future speakers: A cosmetic surgeon to speak on tummy tucks and body contouring. Chef Dave, the famous bariatric chef!
- Dealing with negativity and jealousy brought on by weight loss. How people react, when suddenly they are not the thin one in the group.
- Learning how to eat in moderation, and learning how to feel content.
- Lap Band diet, what can you eat, what can you not eat?
- The psychological question: Are you hungry mentally or physically?
Rhonda Winter (Registered Nurse, Lap-Band Coordinator)
Dr. Katherine Hsu (Bariatric Surgeon)
Dr. Corey Ming (Bariatric Surgeon)
Vicky Bovee (Bariatric Nutritionist)
Our Lap-Band Support group will occur on a monthly basis, with occasional sessions being open to the public. Please use our contact form if you would like to attend an open Support Group session at False Creek Healthcare Centre.